Accidentally deleting important files can be a nightmare, but don’t panic! In most cases, deleted files are recoverable. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to recover deleted files on your computer or phone.
Check the Recycle Bin or Trash
When you delete a file on Windows, it’s not permanently deleted right away. Instead, it’s moved to the Recycle Bin, which stays until you empty the bin or restore the file. Similarly, on Mac, deleted files are moved to the Trash, which can be restored until the Trash is emptied. So the first thing to do when you realize you’ve deleted an important file is to check the Recycle Bin or Trash.
To restore a file from the Recycle Bin or Trash, simply locate the file, right-click on it, and select “Restore” (Windows) or drag and drop it back to its original location (Mac).
Use File Recovery Software
If you can’t find your deleted file(s) in the Recycle Bin or Trash, you’ll need to use file recovery software to Recover Deleted Files. These programs scan your hard drive or storage device for deleted files and allow you to recover them.
There are several free and paid file recovery software options available for both Windows and Mac. Some popular ones include Recuva, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, and Disk Drill. When choosing file recovery software, consider factors such as ease of use, the types of files it can recover, and its recovery success rate.
To use file recovery software, you’ll need to download and install it on your computer. Once installed, launch the software and select the drive or location where the deleted file(s) were stored. Then start the scan and wait for it to complete. The scan may take some time depending on the size of the drive.
Once the scan is complete, the software will display a list of recoverable files. Select the file(s) you want to recover and click “Restore” or “Save” to recover them to a new location on your computer. It’s important to save the recovered files to a different location than where they were originally stored to prevent overwriting any other deleted files.
Recover files using Recuva
Recuva is a data recovery tool that can help you recover files that have been accidentally deleted or lost due to system crashes, virus attacks, or other reasons. Here are the steps to recover files from Recuva:
- Download and install Recuva on your computer. You can download it from the official website of CCleaner.
- Launch Recuva and select the type of file you want to recover. You can choose from a variety of file types, including documents, pictures, videos, music, and compressed files.
- Select the location where you want to search for deleted or lost files. You can choose to scan your entire computer or specific folders or drives.
- Click on the “Scan” button to start the scanning process. Recuva will search for deleted or lost files in the selected location.
- Once the scan is complete, Recuva will display a list of all the files that it has found. You can filter the results by file type, size, and date modified to make it easier to find the files you are looking for.
- Select the files you want to recover and click on the “Recover” button. Choose a destination folder to save the recovered files.
- Wait for Recuva to recover the files. The time it takes to recover the files depends on the size and number of files you are recovering.
- Once the files are recovered, open the destination folder to confirm that the files have been successfully recovered.
It’s important to note that the success of file recovery depends on several factors, such as how long ago the files were deleted, how much the drive was used after the deletion, and whether the files were overwritten. Therefore, it’s recommended to use Recuva as soon as possible after you realize the files are missing.
Restore from Backup
If you have a backup of your files, restoring them is usually straightforward. Backups can be created using external hard drives, cloud services, or specialized backup software.
To Recover Deleted Files from a backup, connect your phone or external hard drive to your computer and open the backup software. Select the files you want to restore and choose the location where you want to restore them. Then start the restore process.
Contact a Data Recovery Specialist
If all else fails and you still can’t recover deleted files, you may need to contact a data recovery specialist. These professionals have specialized equipment and techniques to recover deleted files from damaged or corrupted hard drives.
However, data recovery services can be expensive, and there’s no guarantee that they will be able to recover your files. If you choose to use a data recovery service, be sure to do your research and choose a reputable company.
In conclusion, recovering deleted files can be a stressful process, but there are several tools and techniques you can use to increase your chances of success. Whether using file recovery software or restoring from a backup, it’s important to act quickly and avoid overwriting any other deleted files.