As the summer heat continues to intensify each year, air conditioning has become a necessity for many households. Choosing the right air conditioning unit can be overwhelming, especially with the numerous brands and models available in the market. Our AC Buying Guide will provide you with the necessary information to make an informed decision when purchasing an air conditioning unit in 2023.
Types of Air Conditioning Units
There are four main types of air conditioning units: window ACs, split ACs, portable ACs, and central ACs. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, and choosing the right type depends on your needs, budget, and the size of your space.
- Window ACs: These are the most affordable and easiest to install. They are ideal for small rooms, but they can be noisy and not very efficient. Window ACs are suitable for people on a tight budget, students, or renters who don’t want to invest in an expensive unit.
- Split ACs: These consist of two units: the indoor and outdoor units. They are more efficient and quieter than window ACs and are suitable for medium-sized rooms. Split ACs are more expensive than window ACs but offer better cooling performance.
- Portable ACs: These are ideal for people who move frequently or those who don’t want to install a permanent unit. They are easy to move from one room to another and don’t require professional installation. Portable ACs are less efficient than the window and split ACs but are suitable for small spaces.
- Central ACs: These are ideal for large houses with multiple rooms. They are efficient and can cool several rooms simultaneously. However, central ACs are expensive and require professional installation.
Size of Air Conditioning Unit
Choosing the right size of air conditioning unit is crucial for its efficiency. An undersized unit won’t cool your space efficiently, while an oversized unit will consume more energy and result in high electricity bills. To determine the right size of the AC you need, calculate the square footage of your room and consult an HVAC professional.
Energy efficiency is a crucial factor to consider when buying an air conditioning unit. An energy-efficient AC will save you money on electricity bills in the long run. Look for units with a high SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) rating, which indicates the unit’s efficiency. In 2023, the minimum SEER rating is expected to be 14, so ensure the unit you choose meets this standard.
You can also look for units with an Energy Star rating, which indicates that they meet or exceed the energy efficiency standards set by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Energy Star-rated units are typically 15% more efficient than standard models.
Air conditioning units can be noisy, and this can be a nuisance, especially at night. Look for units with a low decibel rating, which indicates the noise level. A unit with a rating of 50 dB or lower is ideal. Some models also come with noise-reducing features, such as sound-absorbing materials and vibration dampeners.
Features of air conditioner
Air conditioning units come with various features that enhance their performance and convenience. Some of the features to consider include:
- Programmable thermostat: This allows you to set the temperature and control the AC remotely. Some models also come with voice control or smartphone apps that allow you to control the unit from anywhere.
- Wi-Fi connectivity: This allows you to control the AC using your smartphone or other smart devices. You can turn the unit on and off, adjust the temperature, and set schedules remotely.
- Filter indicator: This notifies you when the filter needs cleaning or replacement. Clean filters ensure that your AC runs efficiently and that the air you breathe is clean.
- Air purifying feature: Some units come with air purifying filters that remove allergens, bacteria, and other impurities from the air, making them ideal for people with allergies or respiratory problems.
- Sleep mode: This feature adjusts the temperature and fan speed for a comfortable sleep.
- Dehumidifying function: This removes excess moisture from the air, making it suitable for humid climates.
- Auto-restart: This feature automatically restarts the unit after a power outage.
Brand and Warranty
Choosing a reputable brand is essential when buying an air conditioning unit. Top brands have a proven track record of reliability, performance, and customer satisfaction. Look for brands that offer a warranty of at least one year, and ensure that the warranty covers the compressor, which is the most expensive component of the AC.
Installation and Maintenance
Professional installation is crucial for the efficient operation of your AC. Look for brands that offer installation services or hire a licensed HVAC professional. Regular maintenance is also essential to ensure that your unit runs efficiently and lasts longer. Change the filters regularly, clean the coils, and schedule annual maintenance with a professional.
In conclusion, choosing the right air conditioning unit requires careful consideration of your needs, budget, and space. Consider the type of unit, size, energy efficiency, noise level, features, brand, warranty, and installation and maintenance requirements. With this guide, you should be able to make an informed decision when buying an air conditioning unit in 2023.
List of some of the best-selling air conditioners in India
- LG 1.5 Ton 5 Star AI DUAL Inverter Split AC – RS-Q19YNZE
- Lloyd 1.5 Ton 3 Star Inverter Split AC – GLS18I3FWAMC
- Blue Star 1.5 Ton 3 Star Convertible 4 in 1 Cooling Inverter Split AC – IB318YKU